Thursday, July 10, 2008

On No Country For Old Men


Carson Wells: "You can't make a deal with him. Even if you gave him the money he'd still kill you. He's a peculiar man. You could even say that he has principles. Principles that transcend money or drugs or anything like that. He's not like you. He's not even like me."

Rated R for graphic violence, brief appearances by Woody Harrelson and language.

Staring: Woody Harrelson, Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem and Woody Harrelson.

No Old County for Dying Men (for some reason have a difficult time with the title) is just one of those films that, once the film is over, your really not sure if you liked or not. Yes, it has Tommy (wonderful), Javier (great), and Woody (terrific), but I just couldn't help but feel that the Coen brothers, who directed and wrote the screenplay, could have done a little better concerning the end of the film, which was rather abrupt. Perhaps they just got lazy because, truthfully, a Wilford Brimley Diabetes commercial is more interesting. Trash talk aside, I must say the performances were great; the directing superb; cinematography top-notch and Woody was majestic in his portrayal of Carson Wells(an homage to Orson perhaps?). However, I find myself surprised that I actually enjoyed the film, due, in part, to the fact that most the movies I enjoy all tend to have a good, strong endings and this movie lacked one. I got a little flustered once the credits started rolling at the end, but within the next half-hour, over a bowl of Quaker Oats, the film and its quality began to negate the less than mediocre ending.

Javier Bardem, who plays Anton Chigurh in the film, depicts one of the creepiest and ruthless killers in film history as far as I'm concerned. Cold-blooded, quiet, calculated and methodical. Just like Dick Cheney. Josh Brolin, plays the hunter Llewelyn Moss, who stumbles upon something he shouldn't have, and unfortunatly is hunted down by Anton throughout the movie. Tommy Lee Jones plays the sheriff, a HUGE stretch for him and I don't really know where Woody comes from, but his thespian theatrical stylings were exquisite. Woody Harrelson means gold at the box office baby.

I guess when it comes down to it, the only thing I didn't like about the film was the ending. It didn't top the Big Lebowski thats for sure, but I give the film three out of four Dick Cheny Heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment