Thursday, January 22, 2009

On The Myspace Murder of Megan Meier


With the world we live in it is all too easy to get desensitized to the grave injustices which occur on a daily basis and are subsequently plastered all over our television screens. I confess I don’t always respond as sensitively as I should to some issues, due to their seeming repetitive nature within media. It is rare that a crime infuriates me to the point where I feel like my blood boils due to the anger, even though I may still find it despicable. This anger could of course be subsided by the justice system bestowing an ample amount of punishment against the offender, but all too often someone falls through the cracks of the justice system and full justice is not served, but rather only a watered down version which amounts merely to a inconvenience to the guilty party.

No more is this manifest than in the case of 49 year old Lori Drew, aka 16 year old Josh Evans, who created a false Myspace account and is responsible for driving a 13 year old girl, Megan Meier, to suicide. Drew and an employee of hers, Ashley Grills, impersonated a teenage boy online in order to lure Megan into an online relationship, torment her and then break up with her. As if this wasn’t sick and twisted enough, Drew went on to tell Megan that the world would be a better place without her and shortly after, in October 2006, Megan tragically hung herself. This is absolutely disgusting and I am amazed that this Drew person actually was able to get other people to join her in this quest.

Ashley Grills

So what takes this beyond what would be considered normal teasing as argued by those in opposition to Drew’s prosecution? It has been stated by some that such teasing is merely a form of free speech, or an unfortunate result of the right of free speech, but a right nonetheless. My response would be this: the two defendants readily admitted they were just “messing with her,” which shows an obvious intent to inflict damage and emotional distress on this young girls mind. This very statement implies that they were there to toy with the girl’s mind and if you add that to their instant messages of the devaluing of Megan’s life and “playful” urging that the world would be “better off without her,” then I feel this constitutes a violation of Megan’s protected liberties and civil rights for the purpose of doing harm, which is against the law. Then again, I am no law student either. However, Drew was only convicted of three misdemeanor counts concerning computer fraud, which she is appealing.

In my opinion justice was not served and this woman got away with murder. Now it’s not upon me to be some vigilante and dispense justice like some “Boondock Saint,” but I can’t help feel that I need to do my part to make Lori Drew completely miserable as she made Megan, her family and all those who are so appalled at her crimes that it affects even those who have no direct involvement. This is not to say I wish her any bodily harm and I won’t go as far as other blogs in posting addresses, phone numbers and such, for that in no way would bring honor to Megan. But wherever Drew goes, I want her to see in the eyes of the people she meets the foreknowledge that due to her viciousness and ethical perversion she is responsible for the death of an innocent 13 year old girl. Therefore, I have included as many pictures as I can of the woman, so that if you ever run across her, may your stare heap burning coals of guilt and shame upon her miserable head.

Harsh? No, the unnecessary torment and death of a 13 year old girl is harsh! The anguish that Megan’s family must deal with due to the absence of their daughter with is harsh! Furthermore, this woman is appealing the verdict in the case, showing her complete lack of remorse for her actions. The justice system failed to convict according to what she deserves in my opinion. The pain she inflicted and her punishment are not nearly reciprocal enough to warrant the use of the term “justice,” and I found this whole incident to be one of the most heinous crimes of the last few years.

I try to look at all sides, but even if I were to subscribe to the idea this was an unintended result then any rational person would be so overcome by grief and shame that they may welcome the punishment, or at the very least willfully succumb to it, knowing that their own flesh is tinted with the blood of the innocent. I wouldn’t expect anyone in such a place to put up much of a fight, but that’s not what we see here. No, she is appealing the decision and fighting it tooth and nail. This is an element that inferiorities me all the more.

This is a situation that should really be paid attention to by everyone, from those that harass, to those that wish to bring death upon themselves by their own hand, to every one of us. Teen suicide is tragic epidemic that all of us must be aware of and do our part in combating. We must make the most of every opportunity to lift up the emotionally downtrodden. To anyone who runs across my little corner of the web that may be contemplating such a thing as suicide, let me just say that all of us tend to underestimate the importance we have in people’s lives and how much we are truly loved, and I think this case attests to that very fact.

3 comments:

  1. Hey nice. Needed some informmation for my homework. I liked it and it helped alot, got the first comment too! ^^.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drew is a sociopath and has no remorse for her actions. She is a waste of time

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's too bad that they couldn't prosecute her resulting in prison time. I hope she thinks of the previous life she destroyed and the pain that she caused this family. This is truly sick. My son was bullied for years (not anymore as we found a great college prep high school where he has made lots of friends). It killed me inside to watch my beautiful, intelligent and caring son be mistreated. I got no support from the school. They would tell me that he
    needed to learn how to "stick up for himself". So one day he did stick up for himself and he used foul language.
    Guess who got in trouble? You got it, my son.
    This barrage of abuse with no support occurred at a school that has policies regarding bullying but no one would help my son. They chose to blame the victim. Hd was physically assaulted, belittled, shamed, rejected and blamed. This happened at Lawrence Jones Middle School in Rohnert Park California. Thank goodness my son didn't commit suicide. I would frequently ask if he felt like hurting himself. Thank god he didn't. And thank god for the wonderful high school that he is attending. The students are taught to value each other, embrace diversity, and are enabled to learn while creating and firming meaningful relationships with each other. The administration at Lawrence Jones Middle School should be ashamed of themselves. They should've helped my son. He didn't even feel safe going to school; can you imagine that? What a disgrace. They should be ashamed of themselves for not helping the students ago are suffering at the hands of these bullies. Thank you to all of you who took the time to read this and may Megan Meier rest in peace. Megan your life ended tragically but you are making a difference for other children. Your spirit will live on and you will smile from above each time a child makes the decision to stop bullying and show compassion to a fellow human being.

    ReplyDelete