Wednesday, September 10, 2008

On The Already Infamous Obama Lipstick on a Pig Comment


Try as I might, I just cannot wrap my mind around the possibility that this was just an innocent comment taken out of context. The media seems to have no problem defending Obama, but I have looked at this incident from all angles and I just cannot defend what was said in good conscience, nor can I be completely ignorant of its meaning. I been trying to spin this in every way possible, but even if I give Obama the benefit of the doubt, I still come to the conclusion that what was said was a huge lapse in judgment. Furthermore, his apparent refusal to apologize for the statement is equally disturbing and gives credence to my thought that the unfortunate utterance was, indeed, intended.

On Tuesday night in Virginia during a town-hall style gathering for Obama, he said, “You can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.” The response of the crowd was one of laughter and thunderous applause. My response was quite different; that Obama just may have flushed his political aspirations down the crapper. Surely, this possible Commander-in-Chief couldn’t be that ignorant of what he just said, right? Right? I think any reasonable person, who truly didn’t mean to say what was said and misspoke, would see the crowds reaction, how it was received and quickly retract the statement, adding something to the likes of, “Whoa, I didn’t mean it that way, my bad,” or something similar. This of course was not the case and today he refused to apologize for the statement, saying that the media twisted it, as if drawing the conclusion that it was an attack on Sarah Palin was a completely illogical one.

Let us all assume for a moment that this comment wasn’t made right on the heels of the RNC, where Sarah Palin mentioned her famous “pitbull in lipstick” line. Let us all say, rather, that it was made six months down the road, assuming we had the time, which we don’t because of the election in November. If this was the case though, I could see Obama’s argument that it was taken out of context or that people were overreacting and being hypersensitive. However, this is NOT the case. Instead, it hasn’t even been a week since Palin’s comment, where she mentioned both an animal and lipstick. Then, at this event, Obama mentions an animal and lipstick and we are expected to believe that it was an innocent coincidence.

I was shocked, because I thought it was stupid, and surely Obama was smarter then that, but with how the media is writing it off, he may have been brilliant after all. People say his comment was in context and that’s why he couldn’t have meant it in such a way. I say, of course it was in context! He is an eloquent politician, and with his skill in dodging questions, I can completely see how he intended to say what he was feeling and have the ability to back out of it at any time because of this “in context” loophole. Truth is, he obviously wasn’t going to come out and say, “Sarah Palin is a pig.” No, Obama is more subtle and smarter than that and everyone has bought it hook line and sinker.

We should also take a look at the crowd surrounding him. They, more than anybody watching on TV, would understand the context, and their response is very telling. They completely knew what he was saying, who it was to and why. They even stood up laughing and cheering, but we the public and media are being unreasonable when thinking this way? Obama didn’t even apologize to those who may have been offended, nor did he apologize to Sarah Palin for the comment. If I had said something on a national stage and didn’t mean how it was being interpreted, I would be so horrified that my statement was being perceived in such a way I would be out in front of the media ASAP attempting to make amends and retracting or clarifying my statement. However, this is not what Obama is doing, rather he is just blaming the media and public for mishearing the exact words that came out of his mouth.

Another argument being used to defend Obama is what could he have possibly gained by saying such a thing? Why would he say it? It makes no political sense, so therefore anyone who draws the conclusion that Obama meant it in a derogatory way is stupid. You can’t be serious! The conclusion is completely based in logic and reason, and it is not as if his words were really twisted; no it is word for word what he said himself. So what reason would he have for saying it? I doubt if Obama was still ahead in the polls this would have came out of his mouth at all. Truth is, he is beginning to panic and is feeling under pressure by Sarah Palin’s popularity and the Republican party gaining ground in the polls. He is angry and is responding just like millions and millions of other American’s would. His judgment is decreasing as his anger increases and if I were him and truly repentant I would be jumping at the chance to take it back, but he won’t because he is pissed and meant exactly what he said.

To which of us has this never happened before? I have said several things in anger that I wish I could take back, but let us remember that just because it is said in anger doesn’t give anyone an excuse for uttering such things. No, the simple fact is that Obama is getting nervous and his tact is going out the window and I believe it will continue to happen if the Republicans keep improving in the polls. It was really quite genius of Obama if you think about it, he completely and explicitly expressed himself, and is brilliantly able to flip the blame elsewhere. Anyway you slice it though, what occurred was a huge lapse in judgment. It could also be said that it gives us real insight into Obama’s character and how he would respond under pressure. Yes, what he said is truly an old southern saying, but one Obama stretched and used to his advantage to express himself, his true feelings about Palin, and still have the ability to back out of his statement whenever anyone raised the issue. He must think people are stupid, but they aren’t and people are seeing through it, even if the media doesn’t want to.

No comments:

Post a Comment