Friday, August 22, 2008

On Butter and The Great Potato Rip-Off


If you have read any of my blogs than you know, above all else, there are two things I wish to accomplish. One, giving great advice on health and fitness. Two, giving great tips on how to conserve ones money. This blog entry will certainly be no exception.

You can ask any of my friends; I really - wait, never mind. I don't have any friends, but if I did, you could ask them about my feelings on baked potatoes; but you can't so I guess you will have to just take my word for it. I really love baked potatoes. I mean, they are so delicious and presented in such a tasty package as well. It is the most versatile veggie on the planet and can be used to make french fries, hash browns, salad, clog someone’s exhaust pipe, or with the help of PVC pipe and hairspray, a potato can quickly transform into a spud projectile capable of flying over 200 yards or more. Truly a wonder vegetable.

My favorite starch-packed manifestation, however, needs to be the baked potato. Full of wholesome goodness, even with just this one form one can mold the potato into many different scrumptious treats representing a whole array of culinary delights. It is here though that we should guard our health and our wallets against the potato, for now the potato can grow into something dark and menacing with the addition of condiments. Butter is the number one culprit. I completely dislike butter, and cannot even have butter (or margarine; I already perceived of the question before you asked it smart-ass) on popcorn. With all the chives, bacon bits, sour cream and salt that people sprinkle on their potatoes; I say forgo the butter. You may find it doesn't make any difference, for all the crap that is usually piled on would cover up any butter flavoring anyway. What about Mrs. Dash you may ask? I encourage everyone to forsake that as well, for it will only pull you into the dark seedy world that is real butter. So beware.

I have noticed that supermarkets have now tried to capitalize on our love for the baked potato, with their Baked Potato Salad. As food gets more expensive and the boxes in which it comes in get smaller, I find it disgusting that they are still trying to rip-off middle America with this salad. The thing that irks me the most is that it is usually served cold. A cold baked potato is a travesty, you can ask any short order line cook. However, where it really hits your wallet is when you shell out the dough to pay for a pound of the stuff. If you just buy the ingredients yourself, you can save lots of money on your next picnic, social gathering or pot luck. Though it is true I find a BPS to be heretical, in an effort to be fair and balanced I have included a recipe that you may use to help your budget when indulging in a rather fine BPS.

Cold Baked - Potato Salad by cindy

Source: Gristmill Restaurant - Greune TX

Ingredients

1 2.5 lb. red potatoes
1/4 cup cooked bacon pieces
1 bunch of green onions - diced
1/2 cup (4oz.) of shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 Tabls. finely ground black pepper
1/4 Tabls. salt
1/4 Tabls. garlic powder
2.5 cups (20 oz.) of sour cream

Instructions

Boil potatoes until soft- do not overcook- potatoes will become mushy Drain water from potatoes Transfer immediately to refrigerator Allow to cool for at least 2 hours in fridge. Cut cooled potatoes into 1/2"quarters for larger bites - or 1/6"quarters Dice green onions Add green onions to potatoes Add cheese, pepper, salt, garlic, and sour cream Mix thoroughly Refrigerate until desired temp.

The best thing about this recipe is that it includes no butter. Stay away from the butter. Your arteries will thank me later. So what do you do with any butter you have left over at your house that you need to get rid of? Well, butter itself can be useful in many other ways as seen below. (Caution: May contain harsh language, well not "may" really. It does.)



Thank you for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment