Thursday, August 14, 2008

On Spitz, China and Speedo


It's wonderful to realize that the United States isn't the only world super power completely obsessed with image. China continually is showing to the world that it didn't deserve to hold the Olympic games. In my view at least. Besides Beijing shutting down its industry to help get rid of the smog, errr...mist, they are making police officers wear civilian clothing, and have moved onto editing video of fireworks displays. In addition, they are taking a lesson from Ashley Simpson; encouraging lip-synching and the slaughtering one little girls self esteem. All in the national interest of course. Funny, how all these things that are supposed to improve the image of China are actually doing the complete opposite. China is looking less and less grandiose in the eyes of the international community and more then a few are probably realizing Sydney, Australia would have been a safer bet. It should be noted, before I continue, that I am making a distinction between the government of China and the people of China.



I guess I can understand the Olympic committees decision, I mean sure, it seems that having the Olympic games in China would be a great way to encourage freedom, peace and harmony amongst the Chinese and the world. However, because China's government does not even respect its own people, I find the decision to be counter productive to such a goal. We should have seen such developments coming a mile away, and certainly many did. China's record for denying people their basic human rights is clearly documented, like barring an American President to go to church for instance (though a day or so later they reversed the decision) and I would argue to a degree that I would say the Olympics haven't been held in such a country since Berlin 1936, where Jesse Owens's embarrassment of the Third Reich still echos throughout the annals of history. At any rate, I believe an Olympic committee decision to not hold the games in such countries would be a much more effective means of pushing for freedom and peace in such regions of the world. Though, on the other hand, one could argue that the games have brought this issue to the forefront of the world community due to the extensive media coverage.


Certainly, one person who wishes he was there is Mark Spitz. Though I may get a couple E-Mails with what I am about to say, since Spitz is considered an american hero an everying since 1972. Indeed, his feats at the Olympics were legendary, but with his increase in age, has come his increase in ego. Spitz is raising a huge stink because he didn't get invited to the games, though if he was really that concerned about it, he could have went him damn self. I mean, I think those within the Olympic organization may have a lot more to worry about than sending out invites to all ex-olympians, but then again I don't exactly know what those who work within the Olympics duties entail. I guess, what really twists my anus is Spitz's attitude and the overbearing amount of unsportsmanlike pride he exhibits. As he has said concerning not going to the games on his own accord, "I never got invited. You don't go to the Olympics just to say, I am going to go. Especially because of who I am, I am going to sit there and watch Michael Phelps break my record anonymously? That's almost demeaning to me. It is not almost -- it is." It should be noted he attended the Olympic Games in Athens though.


For the ladies.

Humility Spitz. Look it up and practice it. Here is some more Spitz spitting and sputtering ego inflated quotes:

"I won seven events. If they had the 50m freestyle back then, which they do now, I probably would have won that too." It might be true, but they didn't so it is a non-issue. It looks like an attempt to put himself if not the same level as Michael Phelps, above him.

Concerning the games at Athens, "They did not once put my face on television," he recalled. "But as soon as the swimming was over, and Michael Phelps didn't break my record, every time I went to beach volley, they put my face on the volleyballs."

I guess he does give Phelps some credit when he addresses him here, but only within the context of himself: "He's almost identical to me. He's a world-record holder in all these events, so he is dominating the events just like I did," Spitz said. "He reminds me of myself."

To me he seems like a spoiled little brat who isn't acting his age of 58. To me I have no patience with such whiners who think the world revolves around them and look at things through superficial eyes. Then again maybe its just the "Sparks" talking. BTW, try drinking a couple and editing some HTML. My laptop has almost flew out the window 5 times.


Finally, I am wondering why people just seem to like to take a swing at America and the accomplishments of its citizens whenever it can. Now, a rather large american news organization, during its morning edition, said that what may be responsible for the american domination in swimming is not a hard work-out ethic, skill, perseverance or determination, but rather Speedo, whose new suit is "producing" greater athletes, perhaps giving them an unfair advantage. It is Speedo's LZR Racer that has come under fire. No, no, it's not the constant training or skill but its the suit. Now, I am one of those people who loved sports, but just wasn't good at any of them. I would have loved to have an excuse to blame a persons innate skill on their tee-shirt or briefs, but even me, not being blessed in an athletic way found it was an empty argument, yet some media outlets have ran with it. Furthermore, Speedo is being criticized, moron saying the suits lack modesty and shouldn't be allowed. I hope both arguments are not being taken seriously and I would like to just point out, before I sign off, the fact that in the original Olympic games the athletes competed in the nude. In compairson the Speedo is quite modest, I would say, but competing nude would silence all those complaining of the suits ability to make a person faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment