Monday, August 18, 2008

On John McCain, Barack Obama and Rick Warren


At Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, California on August 16th, both Presidential candidates Barack Obama and John McCain took questions from “The Purpose Driven Life,” author and pastor of Saddleback, Rick Warren. The questions were pre arranged and each candidate received the same ones, though Obama got one less due to the length of his answers. Obama was chosen to go first by a flip of a coin, and while he responded to the questions, McCain remained separated from the dialog. In fact, he did not arrive at the church till half an hour after the Obama interview started. The only information on the questions that the candidates had before hand was a very vague overview of what topics would be addressed.

Obama fronted his questions very articulately and I have to say I was impressed with him as he answered queries ranging from Christ, the existence of evil, and abortion. Through it all I do have a clearer understanding of where Obama does stand on issues that are important to me, though I still do have a lot of questions, which I hope Obama will address in the near future. However, in full disclosure, I have a few for McCain as well.

McCain was also very good, though less articulate then Obama and giving shorter answers, though he still gave plenty of anecdotes concerning his past and present life. Before this event, I have thought Barack Obama has been able to out inspire John McCain by his speech and demeanor. However, this wasn’t the case on the evening of the 16th and I found it to be John McCain’s night. He gave me a sense of hope, pride and of inspiration in America to the degree I haven’t felt in a long time when I watched him speak. One of McCain’s main points is found in “The Purpose Driven Life,” and he, rather eloquently, told the audience that in this current time, that there are causes that far surpass the individual and we need to see that there are greater issues at stake then just you, me, our comfort and are worth fighting for. He also added that this ideal was something this country has lost, which it once had in the past, though he makes it clear that he believes another golden age of the USA is still yet to come.

Now, of course, the controversy comes, which I find so ridiculous that I just wind up shaking my head. The first controversy, thus far, is that McCain was supposed to be in a sound proof booth, or as Warren said, referencing a device in “Get Smart”, a “cone of silence.” Now, I was disappointed that this, in fact did not turn out to be the case at all, but rather, as mentioned before, John McCain showed up a half hour after Obama started. So now people are arguing that McCain heard the questions to begin with, but this is a completely irrelevant argument that really gives credit to John McCain; that he did so good that they have to bring up stuff like this.

The irrelevancy comes into focus when you take a couple factors into account. First, the issues that would be covered were both given to McCain and Obama before either of them arrived at the church. So, even Obama knew to some degree as well; they just weren’t aware of the questions direct wording. Secondly, McCain didn’t say anything he hasn’t already said, and did not alter what his known views. He did not contradict himself, nor did he copy answers of Senator Obama. Even with a worse case scenario, that he did hear the questions, it’s not like the SAT. This is even something you see often in the debates, people not only overhearing questions, but the answers as well, but it never seems to be an issue there. It doesn’t logically hold up because what John McCain said, has already been stated during his time as a senator and during his bid for the White House.

The other controversy concerns a statement where he said that 5 Million dollars makes you rich. I agree, yes, you are rich if you have 5 million dollars, but to be fair the question was at what level are you rich? He made the joke that you aren’t rich unless you have 5 Million, which he immediately retracted. Even CNN’s ticker admitted it was a joke and right after McCain made the comment, he added, “I’m sure that comment will be distorted.” Sure enough he was right and it was jumped on right away by the media, who, oddly enough in some shows, decided to omit his comment following the statement. This is when I lose patience with Cable News, when information is omitted, so essentially it becomes not journalism anymore, but propaganda. Who am I to say what a network airs and don’t? It is up to them, but I feel if you put on the responsibility of being a news channel or program, you need to treat it as such and give the whole story no matter what.

I really hope people will see through this; it was McCain’s night and some people can’t even admit that he did very well and have to bring up superficial things like this to put him in a bad light. On a lighter note though, there was a brief moment during the evening where both Senators were on stage with each other and were very civil, shaking and clapping each other on the back in a way that looked completely sincere on both sides. That greatly impressed me, with both Obama and McCain. Also, both in their answers pushed the merits of politicians swallowing a little of their pride and going on both sides of the fence, moving past partisan politics for the good of the country and I couldn’t agree with the two more.

Truly, it was the prefect venue for such a message, even Warren himself being known for hosting a picnic at his church, which was attended by both Muslims and Christians. Warren did a great job, and by him reading off the questions and moderating, I feel he was more successful then even some of the current news journalists. There were times that were very moving when the candidates spoke, and also times that were rather funny. I am impressed at both men for agreeing to this venue to have such dialog, and in my eyes both are painted in a more positive light within my mind. Yet, much to my surprise, I believe that McCain did come out ahead at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment